Sunday, May 1, 2011

Aliens Are Out of This World!!

If you haven't purchased Deanna's new alien unit, YOU SHOULD!! It is one of my favorites!! The kids love the alien theme. Check out Deanna's Aliens Love Underpants Post for pictures from her class. I taught the alien measurement lesson with a group of kindergartners this week. They had a lot of fun with it. I can't wait to do some of the other lessons.

I had the students work in small groups to measure the aliens. I gave each group a different item to measure their aliens with. After each group was finished, we met back at the carpet to discuss their findings. We talked about why each group measured the same aliens but may have gotten different numbers. This lesson was great for comparing different types of non-standard measure and for talking about why a measurement standard is important.



0 comments: