Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Mother's Day Ideas

One of my favorite mother's day gifts for my students to make for their moms is a cookbook. I have done it several different ways over the years. I have included a few photos below. I like the recipe page with their picture on it the best. I usually include a note to the mom's from me in the front and the recipe of my class.






a few other ideas...

Have a mother's day tea. Invite mom's to come for a story, cookies, and tea. I read the book Five Minutes' Peace and then the kids gave their mom's bath salts we made. We covered the tables with colored bulletin board paper and decorated them with die-cut flowers.


In this book, mother elephant tries to get five minutes of peace in the bath away from her children. Of course....she finds that wish to be impossible!! All mother's will be able to relate to this story.

Recipe for bath salts:
3 cups Epsom Salts
1 Tablespoon Glycerin
Perfume or Lotion
2 Drops of Food Coloring
Place Epsom salts in a glass or metal bowl. Combine the glycerin and food coloring. Add perfume or lotion to make the mixture smell good. Then add the Epsom salts. Stir thoroughly. Spoon into small ziploc bags.

We placed this poem on the bath salts.
Here's a gift for Mother's Day
Who does her best in every way.
Just relax and soak in the tub
'Cause I think you're a member of
The Best Mother's Club!
Happy Mother's Day!
Love,

I also have the students make cards for their moms. I fold a 9 X 12 sheet of construction paper in half. Then I have students paint a handprint on the front. When the handprint is dry, they go back and use green construction paper to add a stem and leaves to their flower. I place this poem on the inside.

This little flower is special, you see,
Because it was made from a part of me.
My painted hand made each flower part
To show I love you with all my heart!
Happy Mother's Day!
(the date goes here)

I wish I had an example of this, but I did it so long ago that I do not. I had my students make the girl from the TLC lessons People book (the older version). Then they wrote about why their mom was special. I had the students choose construction paper based on the color of their mom's skin and hair so that it would look like their mom. You could do this same type of thing, but have students draw portraits of their moms. You could frame their pictures with a construction paper board so that they look like they are in a frame. I have also had students write about things their mom can do.

I also have my students make a mother's day story. It is usually very funny to read and see how old students think their mom is or how much she weighs.

Mothers Day Biography

7 comments:

David and Keely said...

LOVE these ideas! So cute! Can you please tell me where you got the cute food border for the recipes? I love it! Thank you.

Keely Sohler
kls1103@gmail.com
www.mrssohler.com

Cindy said...

I absolutely LOVE this book!! My grown children still have fond memories of me reading Five Minutes' Peace to them when they were young! Thanks for such great ideas!

Mrs. Larremore said...

I think I have a copy of the food paper I used. I will look tomorrow. If I do, then I can scan it and post it. I do not remember where the original came from.

Mrs. Larremore said...

I looked for the food paper. I am sorry, I do not have a copy of it. I used that particular paper a very long time ago.

Kristen said...

LOVE the mother's day biography

great mothers day gift ideas said...

After a long time of period the day is coming for which I have been waiting for last month, you know what I am talking about, yes I am talking about mother's day. This day I am going to do something different which I have ever done and I think this blog will help me, so its grateful for me.

Anonymous said...

As the admin of this web site is working, no doubt very rapidly it will be well-known, due
to its quality contents.

Feel free to surf to my webpage: More hints ()