Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Flower Subtraction

I got this lesson from Kim Adsit's Spring math and literacy unit. We used flower masks to act out story subtraction problems. We did this several times to make sure everyone had a turn. While acting the story problems out, I made sure to talk about how we can not subtract more than we have and why that is so. We also orally said and wrote each equation as we acted it out. After acting out different stories I made up using flowers, the students made their own flower story. I used the sheet from Kim's unit, but I removed the lines, so that the students could use the space to draw a picture. They each thought of a story. Then then drew 5 flowers. Next, they put an "X" on the flowers that they wanted to take away and finished the equation at the top of the page. When everyone was finished, we partner shared the stories they made up. Then I chose a few students to share with the whole class. You will have to model how to share their story several times before the partner share in order to get them to tell the story in a narrative form.






7 comments:

weety said...

cute!

Lori said...

This is cute!

cmcewen said...

What a great idea! I am sure the kids really understood the concept.

teacher2mom said...

I just found your site and I love it! I love how you had the kids BE the flowers to practice subtraction. Such a great idea! Thanks!

We're doing a giveaway if you want to check it out! :)

NYCecelia said...

Your students are so good to dress up like flowers. Did you make all of them? Such a cute idea!
Cecelia

http://ilove1stgrade.blogspot.com/

April Larremore said...

My art teacher friend painted all of the flowers for me. She is great!!

Fran Kramer said...

This is a fantastic activiy for ELL's. It encourges them to "think aloud" and articulate the process of subtraction. It's such a great idea and must be so much fun for the kids. This screams video but only if you can do it without laughing!
Fran@kindergartencrayons.blogspot.com