Friday, April 15, 2011

Animals: Their Habitats and Ecosystems

I found a couple of great animal units on TPT this week. I wanted to share them with you. The first grade teachers in my district spent last six weeks on animals, their characteristics, their habitats, and how they adapt to their environments. They have six more weeks on these same concepts, so I tried to find some new things for them to do.

I used a lesson today from Shelley Gray's Animal Habitat Mini Unit. I read a book from the unit about habitats. It showed students that animals need shelter, space, food, and water in their habitat. After reading the book, I had students do the habitat simulation activity to help them see what happens to animals when they can't find shelter, space, or enough food and water. It was a great visual and the kids really enjoyed the lesson. This unit is full of lots of great lessons. The instructions are easy to read and every lesson has a picture example.

Amanda Nickerson, from One Extra Degree, also has a great animal unit. Her Populations: Plants, Critters, and Food Chains has a lot of great lessons on plants and animals. This unit has a great simulation activity to show how the food chain works. It covers both plants and animals. It also includes a lesson on ecosystems and the food chain that uses the book There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly.

If you are looking for some great animal lessons, check these out!! They are worth the money.

6 comments:

Randi said...

We are getting ready to start animal classification soon. I love this post...thank you! I like the one from One Extra Degree but I can't see too much in the sample pages...I was wondering if you could just tell me if it has info for each classification or focuses on the food chain more? Thank you in advance!

Brianne Hardy said...

Thank you! We're getting ready to do our animal unit soon too and I'm still looking for some materials.

kastoops said...

Thanks for the information. We are getting ready to begin our animals and their habitats unit in a few weeks. I am definitely going to check out the Shelly Gray's Animal Habitat Mini Unit as a resource for my unit. Thanks for sharing!

Mrs. Larremore said...

Randi,
The populations unit has just a little of each. There are some classification signs and some things related to it, a little bit on plants, and then the food chain. You could probably adapt some of the food chain stuff to meet your needs.

mrs. tabb said...

awesome info!
www.anotherdayinfirstgrade.blogspot.com

Shelley Gray said...

Thanks for mentioning my Animal Habitats resource in your post! I am so glad that you found it useful. I hope you are having a great spring!

Teaching in the Early Years