Friday, March 18, 2011

Skittle Math

Before we left for break, I taught Deanna's skittle math lesson from her St. Patrick's Day unit. I know St. Patrick's Day has passed now, but there are several lessons from the unit that could be used any time, so if you have not purchased it, you may want to still check it out.

I began the lesson by talking about graphing and collecting data so that we could learn more about a concept or answer a question. I passed out one skittle to each student and told them to make sure they knew the color of their skittle. I also told them that we would be creating a graph to show what color of skittles we each got and to find out what color we had the most of, the least of, etc. Then we ate our skittle and began our data collection.

As each student told what color of skittle they had, they glued a circle on the graph to show their skittle. As we added circles to the graph, I reminded students that we were collecting data. As we added to the graph, I asked students what color we had the most of or the least of. We also talked about colors that were the same or equal.

After creating the graph, we completed this chart together. This is a large version of Deanna's student sheet.

After the whole group model, I brought out the student graph, a ten-frame sheet, and a zip-loc baggie of 20 skittles so that I could once again model the graphing process for the students. I demonstrated how to color code the color words on the bottom of the graph. Then I showed students a sheet with two ten-frames on it. I pulled out all of the red skittles and placed them on one of the ten-frames. Then we counted them together. Then I showed students how to outline the boxes on the graph and color them in. Then I put all the red skittles back in the bag and started on the next color. I modeled how to go in order of the colors on the graph, how to lay the skittles on the ten-frame, how to keep them on the frame until the graph was colored, and how to only have one color out on the ten-frame at a time.


After my complete model, I gave students their own graphs, ten-frames, and baggies of skittles. I found that the complete model helped all of the students to be much more successful the first time. The ten-frame helped them keep track of their skittles easier too. A lot of times, we have students lay the candies on the graph but this makes it hard for them to keep track of and color the graph.

On a different note.... Deanna's unit also has a lesson on making a rainbow. This activity would make a great how-to writing lesson.

2 comments:

Mrs. Ibarra said...

Love it! Thanks for sharing your pictures.

Mrs. Ibarra
http://alwaysfirstgrade.blogspot.com/

Lori Faas said...

I bought this unit too and loved it. I found it perfectly appropriate for my firsties!

Lori

http://itsthelittlethings-lori.blogspot.com/