Monday, March 14, 2011

A Few Easter Ideas...

Here are a few of my favorite Easter ideas. Sorry that I do not have pictures of a lot of them. :(

My favorite Easter read alouds:
Max's Chocolate Chicken by Rosemary Wells
The Tale of Peter Rabbit by Rosemary Wells
The Easter Egg by Jan Brett

We read the book, The Easter Egg, by Jan Brett. Then we made construction paper rabbits from TLC lessons and did this writing response activity.

We made crayon resist Easter eggs.

Make or purchase a giant Easter bunny cutout. Then for an interactive writing lesson, use sentence strips to label the rabbit with the following: I am an Easter bunny. See my floppy ears. See my yellow chick. See my pink nose. See my bow tie. See my striped jacket. See my fluffy tail.

Create a class poem or have students write their own.
Easter is....
Easter is _________________.
It tastes like _________________.
It feels like ________________.
It looks like_________________.

Estimate how many jelly beans or Easter egg candies are in a jar.

Eat Starbursts jellybeans and then graph your favorite flavor.
Go to http://www.kidscount1234.com/ and look under "graphs" to find graphing ideas for spring candies, jellybeans, and marshmallow bunnies. Shari has the sorting and graphing sheets available for download.

Dye Easter eggs. Then write a how-to paper on how you did it.

Read a book about the Easter Bunny. Then read a book about Santa.Use a Venn diagram to compare Santa to the Easter bunny.

The TLC spring and summer book has a cute version of Peter Rabbit. I think I have a picture in a file somewhere. I am going to look for it. I will post it when I find it.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for your wonderful ideas! I love the rabbit idea and writing! Have your read the story -The Story of the Easter Rabbit by Katherine Tegen? Thanks so much for your wonderful ideas!
Maryann
brennemm@carlisleschools.org

Moore Family said...

I was wondering how you make your "We made crayon resist Easter eggs."? The picture looks SO cute and I was wondering exactly how you did that. Thanks and please let me know!

Christy said...

I absolutely love all of your ideas! Thank you so much for sharing. :) A favorite at our house and in my kindergarten classroom, is Max's Chocolate Chicken. Glad to see others love it, too!

KinderRamblings

Mrs. Larremore said...

To make the crayon resist eggs, have the kids first draw their egg design with crayons. Have them push down really hard when drawing. Then have them paint over the design, covering the entire egg, with a blue wash. To make the wash, dilute blue liquid tempera paint with water. You want it thin, but not too thin because you still want a blue color. Test the wash before using it.

Barb said...

Thanks for the directions for the eggs--can't wait to try these in my knder room! Love it.

Barb
http://www.kinderzoo.net

Dustin Smith said...

Cool spot you've got here. I can't wait for Easter now! Heheh. Good job!

Dustin
http://www.teachertipster.com

Mathew said...

This blog is content amazing information about Easter games which is very useful for me. It very important information about Easter festival.
Thank you very much for this great information.
Easter Games

Rosalinda Hone said...

I love your idea about letting your students create a poem about Easter. Not only would it let them participate or be more active during your classes, but it'll also enhance their writing skills and expand their vocabulary. Another thing, after the Easter egg hunt, you could’ve also told them to write a riddle or a phrase which best described their experience during the Easter weekend.

Shabby Baker said...

Nice post, love that egg with colorful hue. I am actually looking for easy-to-make Easter crafts for kids that I want my niece to try. Thanks for sharing inspiration.

Happy Easter!
Shabby xxx