Sunday, October 10, 2010

Plaidypus Lost Lesson

Text to self connections from the Growing Kinders blog. I saw this lesson on Mrs. Pedersen's blog tonight and loved it! I have copied this post straight from her blog.



I used this book to teach text-to-self connections. In the story, the little girl loses her beloved plaidypus that her grandmother made for her from her grandpa's old shirt. However, the little girl was not responsible (a vocabulary word that we talked about with this book) and misplaced (another vocab word!) her friend in many different places. Before we began reading the book, I asked the children to think of a time they lost something special to them; how did it make them feel? Did they ever find it? Did someone help them find it? And so on...I wanted them to get a good mental image so they could good make strong text-to-self connections.

After we read the story and talked about our connections and wrote about them in our Reader's Workshop journal. This page is from Kim Adsit's Reading comprehension pack at Teacher's Pay Teachers.




We made a list of all the places they were in the story as well as all of the characters. The children each signed up for one that they would like to draw and they created it for our flow map. (I'll post a picture of the sign-up chart later, I must have forgotten to snap one!) Here are pictures of the flow chart that we created. They children were very excited about how looonnnggg it was! They did a wonderful job re-telling the story to help create the flow map.



We also read the book, A Platypus Probably and discussed the differences between fiction and non-fiction texts. We talked about the most important things we learned about a platypus and labeled the parts of a platypus in our science journal.

5 comments:

Suzan said...

Thanks for posting this. I've been trying to think of a way to list character, plot, setting, etc. with each story so we can refer back to previous stories and make connections. The "story map" chart is just what I need!

Anonymous said...

I love this idea of the story map. We will be reading this story next week actually in our reading series. I am looking for a few answers from some fellow teachers out there...as a Kindergarten teacher, how do you measure comprehension? What does your comprehension assessments look like? For our standards based assessments, we read the students a story and ask them 2 character questions, 2 setting questions, and then recall 2 more things that happened in the story. Do you know of any other neat comprehension strategies/activities that I could incorporate in my classroom?

Mrs. Larremore said...

If you will email me directly, I will see if I have some things I can send you on comprehension.

Anonymous said...

Where did you find the story map fonts? I really like the templates.

Mrs. Larremore said...

I believe that font is from DJ Inkers. Mrs. Pedersen from Growing Kinders made that poster. The entire lesson is from her :)