Saturday, September 25, 2010

Fruit Patterns

This week, I taught a lesson to a kindergarten class on AB patterns. I read the non-fiction book Food Patterns and we made patterns using fruit. I had the students make the patterns across their plates first. After I checked them, they moved their pattern to the wooden skewer. We discussed what the skewer was for and how to use it before starting so no one tried to stab anyone or use the skewer inappropriately. I placed a plate of fruit in the center of each table so they were able to make several patterns. The kids loved the lesson and did a great job making patterns.


There is a whole set of books in this series. Go to Amazon to see the others.



Heidi Butkus has a great CD for teaching math concepts. It is called Musical Math. The CD has several songs with motions about patterns on it.

1 comments:

Megan said...

i love this idea!! we're working on AB patterns, too.