Monday, July 26, 2010

Back to School Ideas

We read Eric Carle's book From Head to Toe then I had students think of something they could do and I took their picture while they did it. This book page has a mistake on it though. It should not say "I can." twice.





We do a lot of books at the beginning of school where kids only have to write their first name. These activities do not take very long, but they give kids practice writing their name the "kindergarten way" - writing a capital letter for the first letter and lowercase letters for the rest. A lot of my students have to unlearn writing their names in all capital letters.





We read Harold and the Purple Crayon and made a class book.





We read A, My Name is Alice by Jane E. Bayer and made this class book. We use a writing program called Write From the Beginning. In kindergarten, you teach the students to draw with great detail based on the belief that the details will later carry over to the writing. My students drew self- portraits with step by step whole group instruction. If you are interested in Write From the Beginning, let me know and I will give you more information.



This is an idea that came from my librarian. She read the book One Smart Cookie by John A. Nez and then had the students brainstorm reasons they were "smart cookies."



We made this book based on Chicka Chicka Boom Boom. One thing I would do differently is the sticker letters. I let them choose their letters, but then they were in random order. I also think I would look for smaller letter stickers or make the words page larger.

7 comments:

The Kimbrell Family said...

I would love to know more about "Writing from the Beginning!"
thekimbrells4@charter.net

Mrs. Larremore said...

I am going into my classroom today. I will pull my books to get you some more information. Email me at april.larremore@gpisd.org and I will email you the information back. :-)

Anonymous said...

I would like to know about Writing from the beginning. JDalarm@aol.com

casperrodz said...

I am also interested in learning more about writing from the beginning. I teach kindergarten.
Thanks Gladys
Casperrodz@aol.com

CBJ said...

I love your blog. Thanks for caring and sharing with everyone. Please post a link to my teacher site on your second grade list, elementary list, or resources page. I just want to help others! My site is a great resource for planning themes, lessons, activities, and fun! I did all the work by selecting the best resources and you get only the best sites for your plans.

Mrs. Jackson's Classroom-Pre-K-12 Themes, Lesson Plans, Activities, Ideas, Resources

Teacher classroom website of resources to plan themes, lessons, holidays, projects, activities, parties, and to give the best links, ideas, and info for students, teachers, parents, and homeschoolers. Great ideas for learning! Tons of themes and fun for all!

Thanks,
Mrs. Charlotte Jackson Second Grade and All Grade Level Resources -Themes
Longview, Texas
Pine Tree Elementary-Retired Teacher
http://mrscjacksonsclass.com/

Mrs. Larremore said...

Just posted it. Thanks for sharing!

Raymona Souza said...

I would like to know more about "writing from the Beginning" for my prekindergarten class. raymonasouza@msn.com Thank you!